Re: [vox-tech] Perl: A different approach to: Can I declare $main::...

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 01:44:04PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Thanks Ted,
>
> But the moral of my story is I should explain what I'm doing instead of
> boiling the code down to my specific error.  That way you guys could tell me
> a better way.  So here it is:
>
> I'm using Getopt::Long, but I wanted some extra functionality.  So I wrote a
> wrapper that did some additional stuff (really good stuff).  Getopt::Long
> requires an address of a hash, and an array of program argument/option
> definitions.  So I can't use an ref to an anonymous hash, I need to declare
> a hash and pass the reference.  But my pgm is almost working but now I'm
> getting an "Can't use string ("1") as a SCALAR ref while "strict refs" in
> use".  Don't really know why (it should work).
>
> Jay

The above reasoning doesn't make sense.  Both

my %arg = (quiet => "yep");
&foo (\%arg);

and

my $arg = {quiet => "yep"};
&foo ($arg);

pass the address of a hash to &foo.  There is no possible way that &foo
can tell whether you declared it as a "real" hash or an anonymous ones
(a hash is a hash is a hash.  There is no "unreal" hash).

However, I disagree that there is something wrong with declaring a
local hash variable versus declaring a scalar which holds a reference
to an anonymous hash.

I'd need to see the relevant code (the actual lines where it fails) to
diagnose the problem properly, but my hunch is that you're
accidentally converting an array to a scalar somewhere.  Let's see the
real code?

Micah