[vox-tech] Problems with GCC (or make?)

Whenever I get the source for something, and after I ./configure it, and
try to do "make" I get like a zillion parse errors.  This happens no
matter what I do.  I've checked the lines that it says has problems, but
there doesn't seem to be any problem.  This happens to EVERYTHING.  Can
somebody help?  I tried upgrading GCC, but guess what?  It won't
compile.

If it helps, here is an example:

cplus-dem.c:4593: parse error before character 0177
cplus-dem.c:4593: parse error before `)'
cplus-dem.c:4593: parse error before character 0177
cplus-dem.c:4593: parse error before `)'
cplus-dem.c:4599: parse error before character 0177
cplus-dem.c:4599: parse error before `)'
cplus-dem.c:4599: parse error before character 0177
cplus-dem.c:4599: parse error before `)'
make[1]: *** [cplus-dem.o] Error 1

Thanks in advance.