Re: [vox-tech] What NIC's are good with Linux ?

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Henry House wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 04:27:01PM -0700, Donald Dunn wrote:
> > I have had a frustrating time trying to install Mandrake SNF
> > onto a PC.  Most recently the brand X NIC cards aren't found,
> > I went to Fry's with the "Linux Hardware Compatibility " http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/
> > page in hand.  None of the entries are on this shelves.
> >
> > Is this list a little out of date?  Is there a new one?
> >
> > What are several on-the-shelf compatible cards I can buy?
>
> I usually go with Intel EtherPro 100s. These work great with the eepro100
> driver; I've never had a problem.

Be aware that the older EtherPro (not 100) cards do not have such a smooth
record.

> Kingston cards have historically been very easy to set up (tulip driver) and
> not too expensive.

Kingston's cards may have been "historically very easy to set up", but the
tulip driver has historically undergone much rework over a fairly long
period of time.  While the drivers seem to work well now, they definitely
have a checkered past.

> 3com cards are expensive, but also quite well supported; I
> have several 3c905Bs.

There are both 3com (3c90x) and scyld (3c59x) drivers for 905Bs.  The
latter are in the kernel tree, but the former are where the latest cards
from 3com are supported soonest. :)

See http://www.scyld.com/network/ for a fairly complete but somewhat
biased coverage of NIC support.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing