Re: [vox-tech] What NIC's are good with Linux ?

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Donald Dunn wrote:

> I have had a frustrating time trying to install Mandrake SNF
> onto a PC.  Most recently the brand X NIC cards aren't found,
> I went to Fry's with the "Linux Hardware Compatibility " http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/
> page in hand.  None of the entries are on this shelves.

If ISA, you need to look at the chip on the board and/or for compatibility
notes on the box.

If pci, post

  cat /proc/pci

in addition to the chip numbers. In particular, the output for the
ethernet card.

> Is this list a little out of date?  Is there a new one?

Of course.  Don't think so.

> What are several on-the-shelf compatible cards I can buy?
>
> There are Intel, SMC, and Netgear NIC's, and 3rd world knock-offs.
> Is an SMC 1244TX ?  This could be one as it has the "EZ" as mentioned
> in the HOWTO "SMC Ultra / EtherEZ (ISA)"?

1244TX is a PCI card... that much I gleaned from google, but information
off the chip is probably needed to know what to do next.  Sounds like a
new variation... certainly possible that the drivers haven't been written
yet.  I don't trust marketing labels on NICs.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing