[vox-tech] What NIC's are good with Linux ?

[vox-tech] What NIC's are good with Linux ?

I have had a frustrating time trying to install Mandrake SNF
onto a PC.  Most recently the brand X NIC cards aren't found,
I went to Fry's with the "Linux Hardware Compatibility " http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/
page in hand.  None of the entries are on this shelves.

Is this list a little out of date?  Is there a new one?

What are several on-the-shelf compatible cards I can buy?

There are Intel, SMC, and Netgear NIC's, and 3rd world knock-offs.
Is an SMC 1244TX ?  This could be one as it has the "EZ" as mentioned
in the HOWTO "SMC Ultra / EtherEZ (ISA)"?

Thanks,
Don Dunn