RE: [vox-tech] xwindows at startup

		Thank you Henry. Sorry, yes I have Red Hat 7.1.

		That works.

		Jay

		On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:49:04PM -0700, Ehrhart, Jay
wrote:
		> I setup a server that automatically boots to Xwindows at
startup.  Where do
		> I change this setting so that it boots to the command
line?

		This depends on your distribution. On Debian, xdm is started
by a script,
		/etc/init.d/xdm. Symbolic links to this script live in the
directories
		/etc/rcN.d, where N is the runlevel. So if your system
starts up to runlevel 2
		by default (Debian does this), all the links with names
beginning with S (for
		start) are called with the 'start' argument. If you don't
want xdm to start,
		remove the symlink, which will be called /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm.
(The number may
		vary and serves only to change the ordering.)

		If you use a Red Hat derivative, the default runlevel is 3
and there is no
		xdm on runlevel 2. To change the default runlevel to 2, edit
/etc/inittab to
		change the line

			id:3:initdefault:

			id:2:initdefault:

		As a third possibility, you could uninstall xdm.

		--
		Henry House
		OpenPGP key available from