Re: [vox-tech] Win2k and Linux Dual Boot

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, John Verderber wrote:
> I understand you concerns with the NTloder boot. And I need to qualify my
> letter. I ALWAYS have a dos partition when using NT or W2K at the beginning
> of the disk. I find it a good way ito get in if the system screws up. Also
> some of my hardware is configuarble with DOS utilities. And admittedly I
> didnt have access to the NTFS filesystem in linux. But I did hav a FAT32
> partition available. So I did qualify my proceedures, and Admittedly it was
> not on a production server, just my own.

Heya John,

If this is a coment to my statement on some of the problems with the
ntboot loader, I'd like to re-state that I have used your method before,
and found it to be useful in a few places. :-) (How can I claim it is
wrong or bad if I have been known to use it as well?)

In *no* way was I saying that it was a wrong thing to do. One of the
beutiful things about Linux is that it allows us to solve the same problem
with many techniques.

Use of a C: that is dos based with FAT-16/32, can be good for repairs and
fixes (even noted in Mark Minasi's book on NT), but a risk is security and
another risk is an inability to share the C: with NT AppleShare. Of
course, if AppleShare is not necessary for the admin, and the admin
rightly feels that physical access = ability to comprimise the system
anyway, then why not have a dos based C: ? (Not trying to settle that
arguement.)

Just like the above, I think it is really a matter of taste on how we all
solve problems.

Sorry if I offended,
-ME