Re: [vox-tech] Was: Re: [vox] repairing LILO on RH 7.1 install.

Re: [vox-tech] Was: Re: [vox] repairing LILO on RH 7.1 install.

Sorry, I sent this directly to the original sender. he problem is more
likely an issue with a missing "init=" override since the kernel booting
is appearing to fail js before init would start.

(Right after unused memory is freed by booting kernel, you would expect to
see init do its thing. Without an init specified or not found, you might
have behavior like that described by the author.)

If another arguement for locating an init on the initrd has been included
that is *not* /sbin/init (or /bin/init or wherever init is on your
system) then that would likely have an effect similar to what has been
described.

Solution? Add an init= argument without the initrd=
and test it. If problems persist then include the initrd=
after the init=/sbin/init
or whatever it is for the system...

(Message sent to original sender instead of list:)

You may need to specify the init program. This may be done with the init
argument to LILO or where you specified the above arguement. Try something
like:

        linux root=/dev/hda1 init=/bin/init
or (init is in sbin on my debian system, dunno about rhat)
        linux root=/dev/hda1 init=/sbin/init

wherever your init may be found.

If the arguement /dev/hda1 is not where you linux root filesystem may be
found, you would likey get a message like

"kernel panic, unable to mount /"

As you just see a halt after memory freed, I would guess it just did not
find "init". You may wish to also experiment with the initrd= , but I
would try the above 2 items first before adding that to the above as well.

-ME