Re: [vox-tech] sgml, xml question

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:30:25PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin: Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> quote
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 10:08:21AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > hi all,
> > >
> > > i'm about to submit something to linuxdoc.  they want
> > >
> > > 	SGML or XML (DocBook). Or Linuxdoc SGML.
> > >
> > > for submission.  i should know this, but i'm unsure what SGML and XML are.
> > > i /think/ they're a generalized html, but other than that, i'm pretty much in
> > > the dark.
> >
> > HTML \subset SGML
> > XML \subset SGML
>
> if i understand you and micah correctly, there's no such language as "SGML".
> it's a standard for writing a markup language.  if HTML is a vegetarian pizza,
> and XML is a sausage pizza, then SGML is a recipe for "pizza".

It's still a language - one that HTML is written in, basically
(another good reason for HTML to be termed an SGML application).

Roughly speaking, if SGML is analagous to a computer programming
language, then HTML would be the program written in that language, and
your browser's display would be analagous to that program's output.
Sorta.

> if this is correct, then what did the guy mean when he said my submission
> should be in "SGML"?   is this a way of saying that html is ok, and xml is
> ok, but latex is not ok?
>
> is xml == docbook?

Well, I think they want a /particular/ SGML: Linuxdoc or (preferably)
DocBook.

Micah