From: owner-vox-tech@franz.mother.com
[mailto:owner-vox-tech@franz.mother.com]On Behalf Of Peter Jay Salzman
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 1:30 PM
To: vox-tech@franz.mother.com
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] sgml, xml question

begin: Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> quote
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 10:08:21AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > i'm about to submit something to linuxdoc.  they want
> >
> > 	SGML or XML (DocBook). Or Linuxdoc SGML.
> >
> > for submission.  i should know this, but i'm unsure what SGML and XML
are.
> > i /think/ they're a generalized html, but other than that, i'm pretty
much in
> > the dark.
>
> HTML \subset SGML
> XML \subset SGML

if i understand you and micah correctly, there's no such language as "SGML".
it's a standard for writing a markup language.  if HTML is a vegetarian
pizza,
and XML is a sausage pizza, then SGML is a recipe for "pizza".

if this is correct, then what did the guy mean when he said my submission
should be in "SGML"?   is this a way of saying that html is ok, and xml is
ok, but latex is not ok?

is xml == docbook?

what other SGML options do i have besides xml and html?

pete