Re: [vox-tech] sgml, xml question

begin: Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> quote
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 10:08:21AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > i'm about to submit something to linuxdoc.  they want
> >
> > 	SGML or XML (DocBook). Or Linuxdoc SGML.
> >
> > for submission.  i should know this, but i'm unsure what SGML and XML are.
> > i /think/ they're a generalized html, but other than that, i'm pretty much in
> > the dark.
>
> HTML \subset SGML
> XML \subset SGML
>
> SGML is a generic markup system (NB not a formatting system; the formatting
> engine is not part of the SGML standard). Using a DTD (document type
> definition) and some supporting code and user software, SGML may be adapted
> into flavours (HTML, DocBook, LinuxDoc, etc) that define structure and
> formatting tags.

i asked this of micah in private, but realized that other people might have
the same question.

how in the world can latex generated from sgml code look even remotely as
beautiful as hand generated latex?

does this mean that i have to give up beautiful typesetting and settle for
good-looking typesetting?

> > what i have is latex source, dvi, postscript and pdf.  does anyone know how i
> > can convert a postscript (or latex) format to one of these formats?
>
> The short answer is to use SGMLTools, which is packaged for Debian. You need
> to have input files in DocBook format.  I'd be happy to help you convert your
> files. Just send the sources on over.

cool, thank you!!!!

pete