Re: [vox-tech] sgml, xml question

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 10:08:21AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i'm about to submit something to linuxdoc.  they want
>
> 	SGML or XML (DocBook). Or Linuxdoc SGML.
>
> for submission.  i should know this, but i'm unsure what SGML and XML are.
> i /think/ they're a generalized html, but other than that, i'm pretty much in
> the dark.

Sort of.  It's more the reverse - HTML is an application of SGML,
which is just a means of marking up content via <tag></tag> and such.

I am using DocBook to write a Free book on C programming (when I have
spare time).  It follows structure such as:

<book>
<intro>Blah blah blah...</intro>
<section>
<title>Section Title</title>
<section>
<title>This is a subsection</title>
<para>This is a paragraph.</para>
</section>
</section>
</book>

The documentation for it is free:
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/documentation/reference/html/docbook.html

> what i have is latex source, dvi, postscript and pdf.  does anyone know how i
> can convert a postscript (or latex) format to one of these formats?

No.  These are all /target/ formats for SGML processors such as jade.
DocBook is a purely content-oriented documentation method - more
content-oriented than LaTeX, which is still a package written in a
typesetting language (TeX); and so necessarily display-oriented to at
least some degree.  Converting from LaTeX to SGML is about as
difficult as converting PostScript to LaTeX.  You'll have to translate
to SGML by hand.

When I process my DocBook sources, I use OpenJade and target it to a
specialized TeX purpose specifically created for the purpose,
jadetex, which is analagous to LaTeX except that AFAIK it's not meant
to be used directly by humans, but simply to process the output of
Jade/OpenJade.  I usually use pdfjadetex to output to PDF with
bookmarks and hyperlinks.

IIRC, while they /accept/ Linuxdoc SGML, it is discouraged, and the
official format for the LDP is DocBook AIUI.  DocBook is a more
widely-used DTD and more general-purpose than Linuxdoc was.

DocBook exists in both SGML and XML versions, but the current XML
tools available for Linux don't seem up to snuff to me, so I've been
using the SGML processing tools instead.

Isn't Henry doing a talk on SGML/XML soon?  I'm sure he'll probably be
talking about DocBook, since it's probably the single most widely used
SGML application next to HTML (which is sort of bastardized SGML these
days).

Micah