January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] detecting X from within C

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 brian_sroufek@msdesigninc.com wrote:

> The question was two-fold, as I understood it.
> Testing for X/ncurses and Testing for Console.

Well, Peter's question wasn't.  But why you thought this intrigues me...
my own background in this area is sketchy enough that I am curious to find
out more about your thoughts.  Even if your solution doesn't answer
Peter's question specifically, what related problems might your solution
apply to?

> The approach suggested below -- the use of the ncurses
> pre-init routines is a library as opposed to environment
> approach to testing for X/ncurses as well as console,
> non-console.

I am not seeing how ncurses library routines would allow one to
distinguish a graphical display from a character-cell display.

> I suppose the DISPLAY can be used by its value to
> determine the console target, but that implies a console
> target, not a console environment, unless I'm wrong.

As I understand it, DISPLAY contains a display name... but what this has
to console targets eludes me.  An empty DISPLAY could be construed as
indicating that X libraries should not be used, though it might be
appropriate to use a command line option to allow ncurses to be forced to
be used from an xterm.

While I find myself thinking I understand your terminology, I am not sure.
What is your definition of "console target" vs. "console environment"?

> In any case, the library approach seemed to be a more
> sure fire method.

A library approach that was known to be portable and was designed to
address this problem might well be the best solution.  I am just
scratching my head trying to see how your suggestion applies.

> Brian S.
>
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > begin: Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> quote
> > > On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 11:31:30AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Usually one checks for the existance of a non-empty DISPLAY.
> >
> > cool beans.  works like a charm.  it's neat to be able to run this program
> > from both console and X.   very cool...

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing