Re: [vox-tech] Netscape and Public Keys

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 02:47:00PM -0700, Jan Wynholds wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about where netscape stores it's
> public keys, in regards to the s/mime part of crypto (email).
>
> After a conversation with netscape, I found that the M$ version of netscape
> stores it's certs and crypto stuff in two files: key.db, and cert7.db.  But I
> can't make heads or tails of these files.
>
> Any help would be kindly appreciated.

I would lay bets on these three files:

-rw-------    1 hajhouse hajhouse   352256 Jun  2 13:48 .netscape/cert7.db
-rw-------    1 hajhouse hajhouse    16384 Jan 28 23:14 .netscape/key3.db
-rw-------    1 hajhouse hajhouse    16384 Jul 12 23:05 .netscape/secmodule.db

According to file(1), these are Berkeley DB hash files, a type of database
storage. Berkeley DB is the library that reads and writes them. The easiest
way to study the files would be to use an interface in a high-level language,
e.g., perl. The perl module is called DB_File; it has a decent manual page.

--
Henry House