[vox-tech] detecting X from within C

hi all,

i have a program that has both a gtk and ncurses interface.  i'd like to have
main() call GTKmain() if the program is run from some kind of xterm.  and of
course, i'd like NCURSESmain() to execute if the program is run from a console.

i'm clueless about how to check which environment the program is running
from.  how is this done from C?

thanks,
pete