Re: [vox-tech] Getting around the Winmodem

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 03:02:30PM +0000, Larry Ozeran wrote:
> Hello. I am new to this forum, I hope you'll excuse any inappropriate
> remarks / questions.

Welcome. There is no need to be afraid of us---we don't bite ;-).

[...]
> QUESTIONS:
> Anyone know how to maintain filename case (upper vs lower) when writing
> from Linux to Windows or where I can review info online?

One thing you could try is mounting the partition manually with 'mount
/dev/hda<n> /<mountpoint> -t vfat' to make sure the vfat driver and not the
plain fat driver is used. (Sometime fstab does funny things.)

Other that that, renaming the files under Linux need not be a manual
operation. Try this shell loop:

	for a in oldname_1:newname_1 oldname_2:newname_2 .. oldname_n:newname_n
	do
		oldname=`echo $a | cut -f1 -d:`
		newname=`echo $a | cut -f2 -d:`
		mv $oldname $newname
	done

You could also try tarring the file under linux, then extracting under
windows using tar for windows. But that's a beastly solution.

> Anyone have experience making WinModems work with Linux?

The aforementioned website linmodems.org is a central repository of
Winmodem-on-Linux knowledge.

--
Henry House