Re: [vox-tech] KVM pass-through & mouse problems

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Nicole Carlson wrote:
> I now have two boxes here at work, connected to the same
> monitor/keyboard/mouse via a switch (a Belkin OmniCube, if that matters),
> and apparently it's not as transparent as it could be.  The mouse in
> particular is giving me trouble on both boxes, particularly after I've
> switched back and forth between boxes a few times.  Does anyone know if I
> should give gsmconfig a special mouse type (say, one that reflects the
> pass-through device rather than the mouse itself) or something?

If it's a wheel mouse, you may have some problems if both machines don't
treat it as a wheel mouse.

It's been a while since I last dealt with this, but I believe that a
standard mouse sends back its status information in two bytes when polled.
This has a maximum of three mouse buttons. Wheel mice need to send back
scrollwheel status too, so the mouse protocol was extended to three bytes.

For backwards compatibility, a wheel mouse will communicate with the
standard (2-byte) protocol until the computer tells it to use the
three-byte protocol. So, if one of your machines knows that it has a wheel
mouse and the other doesn't, this can cause confusion.