Re: [vox-tech] Calling a shell pgm from perl to change ENV

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
> > WARNING: ugly and untested idea.  Perhaps your Perl script could rewrite
> > and re-source the .login or .bashrc or .whatever file?
>
> The only way you can change the parent's environment is to have the parent
> receive suggested changes and process them itself.  Communicating those
> changes through changes to .login or .bashrc would seem inappropriate, but
> a dedicated file could be used.  The parent could even specify the name of
> the file, created for the purpose.

Yes, but how would interprocess communication work in a *script*?  I had
thought of IPC myself, but the script gets forked off first thing (the
shell forks it off when it sees the #!/bin/whatever)--I just don't see where
in a Perl script you'd have the chance to set up parent/child communication.
It would be a piece of cake in a compiled C program, but a script?

Of course, I could easily be wrong.  Enlighten me, Jeff...  :)

--nicole twn

***
"This is my home.  This is my only home.  This is the only sacred ground
that I have ever known."--Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer