Re: [vox-tech] Calling a shell pgm from perl to change ENV

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Nicole Carlson wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Foo Lim wrote:
> > Sorry, I can't help you any more than that, I'm afraid.  Child processes
> > should inherit the environment from the parent, but can't change the
> > environment of the parent, which makes sense when you think about
> > programming the UNIX environment.
> >
> > Anyone else wanna take a stab at this?
>
> I think you're right, Foo.  IIRC, the *only* thing shared between parent
> and child processes is file descriptors.  Everything else is copied, and
> changes to the child's environment will not affect the parent.

Check.

> WARNING: ugly and untested idea.  Perhaps your Perl script could rewrite
> and re-source the .login or .bashrc or .whatever file?

The only way you can change the parent's environment is to have the parent
receive suggested changes and process them itself.  Communicating those
changes through changes to .login or .bashrc would seem inappropriate, but
a dedicated file could be used.  The parent could even specify the name of
the file, created for the purpose.

Somehow, I don't think this is the answer Jay wants, though.  Dem's da
breaks. :)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing