Re: [vox-tech] Calling a shell pgm from perl to change ENV

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Foo Lim wrote:
> Sorry, I can't help you any more than that, I'm afraid.  Child processes
> should inherit the environment from the parent, but can't change the
> environment of the parent, which makes sense when you think about
> programming the UNIX environment.
>
> Anyone else wanna take a stab at this?

I think you're right, Foo.  IIRC, the *only* thing shared between parent
and child processes is file descriptors.  Everything else is copied, and
changes to the child's environment will not affect the parent.

WARNING: ugly and untested idea.  Perhaps your Perl script could rewrite
and re-source the .login or .bashrc or .whatever file?

--nicole twn

***
"I found that my heart's opened up my mind, and opened up my eyes."--Eddie