Re: [vox-tech] Journaling File Systems and Backup Tools

On 10 Jul 2001 09:39 AM or thereabouts, Donald Dunn wrote:
> I've recently read several great articles on 4 Journaling File Systems,
> XFS, JFS, Ext3fs, and ReiserFS in the Linux Gazette.
>
> http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/florido.html
> http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue68/dellomodarme.html
>
> Reliability I like.  So I want to backup the disks as well.  Seems hard to find a tool to do more than one individual file system. Until ...
>
> Linux Magazine has a short blurb on NovaStor Corp's Instant Recovery Software.  Claims can back up ALL INTEL compatible file systems.  Price is right at
> $36.  Anyone have experiences with these guys or any alternative solutions?
>
> http://www.no-panic.com/recovery/irecover.html

This is just a physical media dump, which operates regardless of partition
state.  I think you'll find this is a $36 version of dump(8), dd(1),
gzip(1), etc...     Not that the convienance of the tools spiffy graphical
interface isn't worth $36... it may be, to have easy backups and reinstalls.

Like any low level copy, it is *not * a good idea to run it against a
mounted filesystem.  Bits will be in inconsistant states, depending on when
they are grabbed by the program.  So, with this software, I'm almost
certian you'll have to reboot with some kind of boot disk they provide, and
image the disk with the system offline.  Fine for home box, unacceptable for
most servers.

--Matthew
infinite@sigkill.com

--
  "There are a thousand forms of subversion, but few can equal the
   convenience and immediacy of a cream pie"