Re: [vox-tech] / has reached maximal mount count

Re: [vox-tech] / has reached maximal mount count

begin: Jim Angstadt <jimajima9@yahoo.com> quote
> Hi All,
>
> Newbie question, first posting to lugod,
> please be kind:
>
> Sometimes during boot of my RH Linux 7.0 system there
> is a message like so:
>
> Jul  6 09:44:17 linux1 fsck: / has reached maximal
> mount count, check forced.
>
> 1.  What is going on here?

linux checks filesystems with a scandisk type program after a certain number
of reboots.  i think you can actually change the number of reboots with
ext2tune.  this is preventative maintenance.  think of it in a similar way to
how windows automatically scandisk and defrags its vfat partitions with the
task manager (or whatever the scheduled maintenance thing is called).

> 2.  Am I in trouble?

nope.  perfectly normal.  perfectly healthy.

> What do I need to research and fix?

read up on ext2 filesystem in any good mega book on linux (redhat secrets was
good for me).

nothing to fix.

pete