Re: [vox-tech] Firewall question...

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Henry House wrote:
>[my comments snipped]
>
> I'm confused here. Are you running your own DNS server? Remote hosts should
> trying to nslookup your name will contact your nameserver, not the box
> running the web browser.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I am running a nameserver on my box (named).
I pierced my firewall to allow DNS traffic with ipchains commands I listed
in earlier emails.

<[my comments snipped]

> Unless you are running a server there is no need for machines other that your
> local DNS servers to contact you on any port. Nameserver replies should
> arrive on unprivaledged ports. (Can anyone confirm this? My knowledge is
> shaky here.)

I would think that they should arrive from unpriviledged ports, but it may
be the way my company's firewall is configured?

> I have done so, and got:
>
> 	Server:         198.93.80.101
> 	Address:        198.93.80.101#53
>
> 	Non-authoritative answer:
> 	www.jeffmcnurlin.com    canonical name = solo.trug.com.
> 	solo.trug.com   canonical name = trug.com.
> 	Name:   trug.com
> 	Address: 216.102.106.223

Thanks Henry. At least my domain is accessible from your site. :)

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

"There is no case...there never was! It's all just a joke, a big joke!"
--Former Inspector Wollenski