Re: [vox-tech] Should I buy the debian CDs and where

Re: [vox-tech] Should I buy the debian CDs and where

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 06:25:08PM -0700, ME wrote:
[...]
> To which, I might answer: Why?, If you really want to!, and Um. Ok?

Indeed. Each distribution has a focus. Debian's is on ease of upgrading
installed systems, lots of packages, stability (is you use `stable' or
`potato'), and other stuff that power users care about. Many experienced
Linux users will use nothing else; a minority of old-timers swear by
Slackware for similar reasons. Debian is famously scary to newbies though,
and generally does not provide much for them that compared with Red Hat /
Mandrake's many nice GUI tools.

> As for, "Where to get Debian?" I have just taken to burning my own CDs
> from images as needed. I've never bought a copy of Debian, and have no
> suggestion for that part. You can download them from their ftp site.

Unless you are really patient its easier to buy a CD. Plus CheatBytes really
is cheap ;-). Once you have the CD you can use rsync to grab only the new
bits :-).

--
Henry House