Re: [vox-tech] backing up the master boot record

Re: [vox-tech] backing up the master boot record

begin: jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> quote

> That would be nice, but it is in
>
>  man dd
>
> if you interpolate:
>
> ---Quote---
>        count=BLOCKS
>               copy only BLOCKS input blocks
>
>        ibs=BYTES
>               read BYTES bytes at a time
> [...]
>        obs=BYTES
>               write BYTES bytes at a time
> [...]
>        seek=BLOCKS
>               skip BLOCKS obs-sized blocks at start of output
>
>        skip=BLOCKS
>               skip BLOCKS ibs-sized blocks at start of input

here's what i know:
 cylinders are stacked circles.
 heads are sides.
 sectors are arcs.
 tracks circles.
 cluster are the smallest group of sectors a file can use.

maybe i'm not good at interpolating, but i'm still not understanding.
are you saying that a block is a cluster?  is it a filesystem term or
a dd term?

pete