[vox-tech] backing up the master boot record

[vox-tech] backing up the master boot record

i'd like to know how to backup the master boot record, but the trouble is
that i don't know how "big" the mbr is.

according to the lilo mini-howto:

	dd if=/dev/hda of=blah bs=446 count=1

according to some documents i've found on google:

	dd if=/dev/hda of=blah bs=512 count=1

so is it 446 bytes or 512 bytes?

also, a question about dd.  according to the man page, bs=BYTE tells dd to
read and write BYTE bytes.  count=BLOCK tells dd to copy only BLOCK input
blocks.

what is a block?

pete