2008 Mar 03 10:34

Re: [vox-tech] windows question

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 brian_sroufek@msdesigninc.com wrote:

> The problem with Windows 2000 claiming NT Technology
> is that many vendors had not migrated their drivers from
> NT to 2000, so you lose a lot of favorite functionality when
> you go to 2k.

The old drivers are still supported.  You don't lose too much -
with some exceptions.  However, the old drivers don't cooperate so
nicely with the plug and play "resource manager" of the new "WDM" model.
So, you may encounter some conflicts here and there with the legacy drivers.

With the old drivers, you also don't get the power management and
plug'n'play features such as hot-swapping and being able to turn off/on
devices (w.r.t to being "visible" and operational) on a whim in the device
manager.  The old driver model didn't uniformly incorporate all of these
niceties into it.

Speaking strictly about driver models, ... MS did some good things with
WDM.  Linux needs something clean like this.

--
Pavan xxxxxx (xxxxxx@uiuc.edu)   http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~xxxxxx
Computer Engineering Student     University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign