Re: [vox-tech] setting up a linux based web server using residental DSL

I'd say start of small, just implement a NAT (network address translation)
box, with a firewall.  This computer will attach to the internet and a hub.
>From the hub you can connect multiple computers, all sharing your internet
connection (thru the NAT machine).

Once that is up then you can tackle a web server, email server, DNS...

Advantage, a NAT machine will cost $20 (2 network cards @ $10 apiece), and
$30 for a hub.  Then you can use any throwaway machine (386, 486,...).  and
use LRP http://lrp.c0wz.com/ or http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/

Jay

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Vennari" <mrvennar@ucdavis.edu>
To: <vox-tech@franz.mother.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 12:19 AM
Subject: [vox-tech] setting up a linux based web server using residental DSL

I am gathering information on setting up a Linux based web and e-mail server
using residential DSL service.  I am a newbie to Linux so bear with me.  I
guess my first question is if anyone knows about a commercial release of Red
Hat called "Super Auk DSL" http://www.wholelinux.com/index.html  They claim
ease of use for newbies like myself thru web based "wizard" type
configuration and their software includes a firewall, router, etc and can
run a LAN using only one static IP address.  What are the
advantages/disadvantages to using a software package like this?  If I choose
to install a generic version of Linux myself and do all the configuration
for such a setup, how long will this take me and how much do I need to know?
Can anyone direct me to "step-by-step" information on this subject?