[vox-tech] Debian version numbers (was: If I was to install debian)

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 12:12:10PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> If I was to install debian and download:
>
> /debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/2.2.23-2001-04-15
>
> I assume that means I'm using the kernel 2.2.23???

[...]

This is the release number of the Debian installer, NOT the kernel. Recent
Debian installer disks use 2.2.17; likely they have moved to 2.2.19 by now.

Debian does not rush to put up-to-the minute software in their stable
distribution (if you want that, you have the option of using their testing
distribution). This is how Debian maintains its legendary stability. Remember
the Red Hat 7.0 bug? That would never happen in a Debian stable release.
There are still a few issues with the 2.4 kernel that have delayed its entry
into Debian stable. Of course, you are free to download the lastest
kernel.org tarball and install it using the Debian tools.

Debian's distributions are:

Potato / Stable: rock-solid and extensively tested
Woody / Testing: has had some testing, likely still has bugs
Sid / Unstable: new sw enters here, so things break from time to time

When Potato gets too old, a feature freeze will be declared on Woody. After
an exaustive testing period, Woody will become the new stable distribution,
Sid will become testing, and a new code name will be introduced for unstable.

See, it all makes sense :-).

--
Henry House