Re: [vox-tech] I'm missing a bunch of headers...

Re: [vox-tech] I'm missing a bunch of headers...

> ewww.  that's distressing to hear.

Yeah, I know.

> that's cool that will smith uses linux.  i wasn't aware of that.  it'd be
> great if we could convert samuel jackson...  (sorry, samuel L. jackson).

Heh, Will Smith is a member of the group.  I wasn't talking about the
famous one.

> however cool rpm's are, debs are way cooler.   easier to install packages
> when you have a net connection.  no hunting for stuff on rpmfind.

Doesn't Debian also have a feature to automagically update things?  That
would be nice, if Esparto ever got broadband.

> you have way more control over how things get installed.

That's what I like!

> > but as much as
> > Mandrake pisses me off with all of it's "I'm gonna do this for you, and
> > not tell you how I did it" bullcrap, I'm willing to switch.  Then on the
> > other hand, Will was telling me you have to set up EVERYTHING by hand in
> > Debian,
>
> i think debian gets a bad rap about that.  there are a few nice utilities
> that redhat/mandrake have, like netcfg, printtool and sndcfg.  a couple have
> been ported to debian (printool has been ported to the lprng project).

> but frankly, it's better to know how to do things by hand.  these programs do
> fail (the zworld machine was identified by sndcfg as having a soundblaster
> live when it really is a pci-128).
>
> and really, how hard is it to add the string "es1371" to /etc/modules anyhow?

I don't really mind doing things by hand if I know what I'm doing.  When
I have to find/read a bunch of different manuals to get one thing done,
I started to get pissed. (I think you know why)

> the potato installer really isn't all that bad.  i've heard the woody
> installer will be great.

Is Woody in the library?  I saw some talk about it on vox, but didn't
really follow it.  Maybe I should get in line to get it.

> > Maybe one of you Debian fans can persuade me?
>
> i'll give you a hundred bucks if you can compile your kernel.

Seriously?

--

                BRAD