Re: [vox-tech] I'm missing a bunch of headers...

Re: [vox-tech] I'm missing a bunch of headers...

begin: Brad Benedict <bradb@afes.com> quote

ewww.  that's distressing to hear.

> I've been thinking about trying
> Debian lately, but Will Smith tried it and told me that it's not for me
> (cause I'm a lazy asshole.)

that's cool that will smith uses linux.  i wasn't aware of that.  it'd be
great if we could convert samuel jackson...  (sorry, samuel L. jackson).

> I kinda like the .rpm files,

however cool rpm's are, debs are way cooler.   easier to install packages
when you have a net connection.  no hunting for stuff on rpmfind.  they can
run install scripts before and after installation, so they can be more
intelligent.  you have way more control over how things get installed.

> but as much as
> Mandrake pisses me off with all of it's "I'm gonna do this for you, and
> not tell you how I did it" bullcrap, I'm willing to switch.  Then on the
> other hand, Will was telling me you have to set up EVERYTHING by hand in
> Debian,

i think debian gets a bad rap about that.  there are a few nice utilities
that redhat/mandrake have, like netcfg, printtool and sndcfg.  a couple have
been ported to debian (printool has been ported to the lprng project).

but frankly, it's better to know how to do things by hand.  these programs do
fail (the zworld machine was identified by sndcfg as having a soundblaster
live when it really is a pci-128).

and really, how hard is it to add the string "es1371" to /etc/modules anyhow?

the potato installer really isn't all that bad.  i've heard the woody
installer will be great.

> Maybe one of you Debian fans can persuade me?

i'll give you a hundred bucks if you can compile your kernel.

pete