Re: [vox-tech] I'm missing a bunch of headers...

Re: [vox-tech] I'm missing a bunch of headers...

begin: Brad Benedict <bradb@afes.com> quote
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > can't remember what the err msgs said, but i saw a lot of fbdev stuff.
> > remove frame buffer stuff from your kernel and try again.
> >
> > the kernel uses its own include files.  if you're having trouble compiling
> > the kerenl, the problem is with your gcc.
> >
> > there were problems with redhat/gcc compiling the kernel.  redhat even
> > included a compiler that DID compile the kernel.  can't remember what it was
> > called; kgcc or something like that.
> >
> > pete
>
> Yeah, I'm using kgcc.  egcs 1.1.2, or something.  I tried looking at the
> .c files that were giving the errors, and see if I could remove them
> from the kernel if I didn't need them, but I didn't know what any of
> them were...

not sure if that's a fruitful endeavor.  the problem is almost certainly with
your OS, not with the kernel.  if gcc is broken then it's in your best
interest to fix gcc, not to try to hammer the kernel to compile.

btw, i've compiled 2.4.5 with no problems on debian woody.

hate to say the obvious, but did you check the redhat site for updates on
gcc/egcs?

btw, removing files from the kernel is sure to cause heartache.  there are
some strange dependencies that you wouldn't think of.

come to think of it, did you try to compile 2.4.4?   2.4.3?  2.4.2?  i would
be interested to hear whether a previous kernel would compile.

pete