2008 Mar 03 10:34

Re: [vox-tech] I'm missing a bunch of headers...

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Brad Benedict wrote:

> When I try to compile a kernel, and I get to make dep, it says I'm
> missing a bunch of headers.  Well, it's mostly the same files, but over
> and over again.  I have those files, but they are in directories like
> asm/sparc64, and I know not to change them.  I get the following errors:

The solution to the problem is to go into /usr/include and remove the
'linux' and 'asm' link.  Then, set symbolic links to the same directories
where the kernel source is.  I.e, on my system, /usr/include/linux points
to /usr/src/linux/include/linux and
/usr/include/asm points to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 (I use an IA32
system.)  Also, be aware that on some distributions, the /usr/include/asm
and /usr/include/linux directories are actual directories, and not
symlinks (like in the crappy RH 7.0 distro I have here on my desk.)
You'll have to rm -rf them and then replace them with symbolic links to
the kernel source directories.

You DO NOT want the asm directory pointing to 'sparc64' etc etc unless you
actually have one of those processors and use a kernel that is supposed to
compile and run on the corresponding processor.

Happy kernel hacking.  Write a kernel patch that would make LUGOD proud.

--
Pavan xxxxxx (xxxxxx@uiuc.edu)   http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~xxxxxx
Computer Engineering Student     University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign

"But the only thing [I] am thinking now is: 'AFTER THE BOOT SECTOR, WHAT
DO I HAVE TO DO ??'" - Jeremy Herve, 14 year-old programming addict, on
alt.os.development