Re: [vox-tech] Linuxcare business card bootable cd and VNC

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Linuxcare business card bootable cd and VNC
  • From: "Stephen M. Helms" <mythoMAPS_x@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:05:24 -0700

Under the properties / user settings section make sure you put in a good
password.  VNC suffers some of the same security settings that other
remote access applications suffer (PC Anywhere, Timbuktu, etc...).  I
guess the latest version (Windows 3.3.3r9/ UNIX 3.3.3r2) fixes alot of
these issues.  Also, under the same section you can set the display
number that you use with the client.  Changing this from the default of
auto or :0 would be a good idea.  If someone sniffs your network and
they see port 5900 open they will not be able to access the server with
the defualt display number.  In the documentation on the site they tell
you how to change to default port for web access from 5800 to another.
Of course if you do not want to use web access and force yourself to use
the client then you could just block out port 5800 on your firewall.

For more information see the book Hacking Exposed and if you do a search
on deja.com for VNC security it will point out a lot of useful information.

I personally would prefer if it handled passwords more like Samba or PC
Anywhere does.

Stephen
P.S.  Foo, if properly secured, I do not think there is any reason not
to use it.