Re: [vox-tech] Can anyone hear (see) me

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 11:27:05AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin: Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.com> quote
> > On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 02:05:02AM -0700, Eric wrote:
> > > Or "Tans-me-duh". I don't agree with the communist
> > > hippie thing necessarily, I think she just didn't *get
> > > it*.
> > > ERic
> >
> > Didn't see it, but I knew from the moment I saw the abstract - which
> > said things such as "In the past few years, investors backed Linux,
> > thinking it an alternative operating system to Microsofts. However,
> > with the recent crash in tech stocks, Linux suffered. "
> >
> > (Investors backed /Linux/?  Linux-based /companies/, maybe).
> >
> > Micah
>
> micah, this is a good point.   if VA linux and every single linux based
> company declared bankruptcy tomorrow, i for one wouldn't wipe my hard drive
> clean and install something else.   i suspect most everyone here wouldn't,
> either.

Yeah, and Linux sure as hell wasn't doing too bad /before/ all the
media hype and commercial backing, I doubt very much it'll be doing
poorly /after/ all the media hype and commercial backing - at least at
the level of personal users.  Even if /no/ distros exist, which was
true not all /that/ long ago....

The great thing about Linux is that it's not tied to anybody.  Even if
Linus Torvalds and Alan Cox were to suddenly and inexplicably die a
miserable death (RIP, dear hackers), Linux would continue to be
actively developed and improved.

Micah