Re: [vox-tech] re: eh?

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] re: eh?
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@diMAPSrac.org>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 23:20:42 -0700

i think more importantly than a copy of nsswitch is to simply not start the
service upon startup.

you probably use redhat; i think the startup scripts are /etc/rc.d/rc3.d for
non-graphical startup of /etc/rc.d/rc5.d for graphical startup (it has been a
long time since i used redhat).   for suse, it's rc2.d and rc5.d.

one of your scripts starts ypserv, the server for NIS.  it's probably called
something like S[0-9][0-9]ypserv or S[0-9][0-9]nis.   first kill the service
by

./S[0-9][0-9]ypserv stop    (for example)

next, disable the service by moving

S[0-9][0-9]ypserv   to   s[0-9][0-9]ypserv
S[0-9][0-9]nis   to   s[0-9][0-9]nis

change the starting S to a small s.  they won't be run on startup if they
begin with small s.

while you're at it, no doubt you're running portmap.  move the portmap
startup script to a small s as well.

pete

begin: Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> quote