Re: [vox-tech] Kernal Panic!!

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Jeff Lambert wrote:
> My box just said "Kernal panic: CPU context corrupt" what exactly does
> this mean?

You can find a ref to it in the code of your kernel
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/bluesmoke.c

Not looking into any detail of the code, and where the function to include
this is called, I would *guess* this is part of a routine to check the
machine dues to an unexpected exception. During the call, whatever drain
bamage existed on your box, it was irrecoverable and forced the panic.

1) Do you have an SMP (symmetric multi processor- with multiple
CPUSs) box?
2) If not, are you runing an SMP version of linux or uniprocessor on on
that box?
3) Has your board or cpu been over-clocked, or is it near tolerances?
4) Has this happened before? How often? Mostly after it has been running
for a while? Does it return sooner after a restart? Is it a laptop with
poor cooling (some acer, new HP Pavillion, etc. have had this problem
where the fan does not come on soon enough and stay on long enough to
dissapate heat and cool it.)
5) Has this tended to happen more on hot days or after heavy use, long
use, or intensive/extended use of heat generating devices (HD or tape
drive for example.)

I am not much of a kernel coder at present. I have hacked on the kernel
code *very* little, but not really contributed. So, here are ome URLs from
others on this to possibly help you out more:

<converted to html links to avoid bad wrapping issues in some mail
clients).

-ME