Re: [vox-tech] Passing the reference to a hash - in perl

On 29 Jun 2001 04:54 PM or thereabouts, Micah Cowan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 04:07:11PM -0700, Matthew Snelham wrote:
> >
> > Why do you have the 'strict refs' pragma turned on if you're bandying about
> > references?  Stylistically unneeded, IMHO.
>
> What are you talking about, my friend?  strict refs doesn't disable
> using refs - it forces you to use them "correctly."  "Incorrect"
> things which are disallowed include using the /name/ of a hash as its
> reference, i.e.:

I know, I just think the pragma is unneeded, because anyone who tried to
reference a variable via a hardcoded symbolic reference should be shot. ;-)

> As to it being stylistically unnecessary - there are many, many Perl
> programmers who would disagree with you.

But they are all WRONG, wrong I tell you! I SPEAK THE ONE TRUE PERL STYLE!!

(/me laughs manaically in the corner, and wrings his hands)

> In general, you should always 'use strict', which automatically
> includes strict refs, vars, and subs.

I see you also study the one true style.  All perl acolytes should listen
and know that 'use strict' is your best friend.

--Matthew
infinite@sigkill.com

--
  "There are a thousand forms of subversion, but few can equal the
   convenience and immediacy of a cream pie"