Re: [vox-tech] Linux for the Palm

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:16:40PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Can you run Perl?

Run Perl on the Agenda?  Yes, microperl.
On the Palm?  I doubt it.

> How do you compile it?

There's a branch of GCC which builds for the MIPS processor.
Cross-compiling's typically pretty easy... just use a different
spot to grab static binaries (.a's) and use the MIPS-targetted compiler
and linker.

> How do you SSH to another unix machine?

On the commandline (eg, running the "Terminal" app. on the Agenda...
it's just RXVT, which launches your shell... you can use SH, BASH or ASH,
or others if you wish to install them (TCSH is available.. I forget
what else)), just type:

  ssh username@host

:)  Just like any other Linux/Unix box.

> You don't have a NIC on a PDA,
> maybe you can use the IR port, or a modem?

Oh, you mean how do you get network to _do_ the SSH... :)

Work is being done to create a 'backpack' wireless device
(I assume cellular modem).  You can always use a host desktop machine
via the PC's serial port and Agenda's sync cable or cradle.

Start PPP from the Agenda's "Networking" app. and go from there!
I've heard there's been success using the IR port to talk to certain
cellphones, too!

Finally, people are talking about ways to get an Ethernet port built
for the Agenda.  So, soon, there may be a NIC on the PDAs. :)