Re: [vox-tech] Debian problems

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Brad Benedict wrote:
> It's external.  I've used it in Linux before.
> It's the same init string that I used before.

Well then we can probably limit the focus to hadrware and interfaces.

> I haven't changed anything =\

I can assume this means you have not added any new hardware or modified
BIOS/device settings since you last founf your modem working except the
installation of a Debian Linux system.

> > I have found windows 95/98/ME as a good tool to detect what resources are
> > used by what devices.
> It doesn't say.  =(

In your BIOS, what IO ports and IRQs does it say the on-board Serial ports
(Assuming one of these is what is being used.)

Then do a
# cat /proc/interrupts
and
# cat /proc/ioports
and see if both the ioport and IRQ show up in the list as being detected
by linux.

Next, let us try using "setserial" to status check the settings used by
the kernel to talk to the ports you have installed:
COM1-4:
# setserial /dev/ttyS0
# setserial /dev/ttyS1
# setserial /dev/ttyS2
# setserial /dev/ttyS3

If you only have 2 "standard" (9pin/25pin) serial ports, then you may see
duplicate IRQs listed for ttyS2 = ttyS0 and ttyS1 = ttyS3, but as long as
you do not have these serial ports physically on your system, you should
be ok. if you have 4 "standard" serial ports on your system, then this is
another issue, and we will need to set each of the ttys[0-3] to have
unique unused IRQ. All 4 ports should have unique ioports (example of a 2
serial port system only using serial ttyS0 and ttyS1:

dugan@nerds:~$ setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
dugan@nerds:~$ setserial /dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
dugan@nerds:~$ setserial /dev/ttyS2
/dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
dugan@nerds:~$ setserial /dev/ttyS3
/dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

If you have 4 serial ports physcially on your machine, please let me know
and we can work through that.

Another thing to try:

# dmesg -a | less -i
(then type:
/serial
(to perform a search for the serial settings section)

See what is says about your serial ports.

If the info reported matches your setup, what does minicom say when it
talks to the serial port you think your modem is connect to? Have you told
it to try other serial ports? What do they say when you "ATH" in minicom?

-ME