Re: [vox-tech] Help! with GIMP

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> cam -- one last thing.  you can install sid packages in woody.  you don't
> actually have to upgrade your distro to sid to use some of sid's packages.
>
> i needed the latest SDL for something i was compiling, and was able to d/l
> bleeding edge SDL packages from sid and install it on my woody machine.
>
> you may need to update a few other packages, but the debian site clearly
> outlines exactly what dependencies each package has.  of course, dpkg will
> also tell you, but it's easier to just point your browser to debian's site
> and d/l everything you'll need in one fell swoop.

It is, in fact, quite a list.  I have most of them downloaded (I'm
really supposed to be working on a reort, but this is more interesting),
and am now figuring out the installation order.  And I passed up on
Slackware because it looked like too much work!

It would have been better to change my sources list to woody (it looks
as though there's no difference between woody and sid for this), and
done it that way, but I figured I should have a look.

I did re-install 1.1, by the way, and it works just fine, except that it
didn't find the manual.   The manual won't install because it needs
xlibs, which won't install because I have xlib6g installed ... but you
know the drill.

Cheers

Cam

--