Re: [vox-tech] Debian problems

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Brad Benedict wrote:
> I've been trying to install Debian for the last few days.  I finally got the
> base system installed, and now I want to install packages with apt.  The
> only problem is that my ppp won't work.  I have the configuration set up
> exactly how it should be, but when the installer tries to dial up, it
> doesn't even do anything...it just says it's not working.  I have it set to
> the right port, and the init string is good.  I'm stumped.  Anybody have an
> idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Is it a Winmodem?

(If you find you have a WinModem, then hope is not all lost - maybe. There
was discussion to offer some support for what are sometimes called
"LinModems" or modedms that are WinModem made by companies that were
willing to share the necessary API/driver interfaces for their
software-chipset modems with Linux developers... Even though this sounds
like something to patronize, Win/Lin modems are bad ideas. They suck up
CPU cycles where an extra $5 or perhaps $10 pays for a device that has all
of its own chips, and does not risk kernel/OS weirdness with potentially
buggy drivers, or code exploits.)

If not a winmodem, is it choking on the init string? (Some crappy USR et
al modems wont even init to the standard inits and use their own system.)

Another test... install minicom. It is a simple terminal program you can
use to allow you to talk to the serial ports. The default control sequence
in minicom is (control-a) I think. And you can choose to (control-a) and
then press ("o") for options and choose your serial port, speed, flow
control, stop etc... Good defaults include 57600, 8, N, 1 and sort through
your com ports. Send an "ATH" to each one. See if any give you an echo of
what you type and then either a number or "OK"
If one ports does react, then at least linux is able to speak to the modem
and the likelyhood of it being a winmodem are much smaller.

Since you mention debain, try checking out an admin tool (as
root) called:

# modemconf

You can tell it where to find your mdoem or possibly even have it try to
find it for you. (Cant remember if it does autofind.) After you find it,
then see if you can play with another tool as root called:

# pppconfig

to help you set up your ppplink. I think it can help you set upi scripts
to use with "pon" and "poff" and helps youto customize PPP authentication
with CHAP and PAP as well as chat based logins with the old fashgioned
"ogin:" username "assword:" (etc) system

Most common problems with modems are:
Use of winmodem that is not recognized by linux or USB modem
Use of modem on weird non-standard ioport
Use of modem that does not transmit "OK" responses,but uses numbers
 instead (this can confuse some apps)
Use of modem that give ERROR to a standard Hayes style INIT string
Not offering the proper ports
IRQ/IO conflict woth another port or device on the system

Check you BIOS settings. See that nothing else is conflicting with your in
use settings for your modem. If you are using an internal modem separate
from your assumed 2 9/25 pin serial ports, make sure the modem is using
different resources than the on-board serial ports. (Often found in the
BIOS settings on your PC.)

> Also, does anybody know where I can find parameters for VIA onboard sound?
> It won't install the modules without it.  :-\

Well, some might want to shoot me, but...

I have found windows 95/98/ME as a good tool to detect what resources are
used by what devices.

However, for the Linux purist on, here, I will also mention a few others
in Linux land...

If the sound is on-board/integrated on the motherboard, then you are
likely to have settings in your BIOS (Hah! BIOS again!) to allow you to
set the resources used by your on-board sound card. Sometimes, you may not
be able to change them, only review them. Search through the different
menus/screens of your BIOS to see if you find reference to the resources
used by your audio device.

Another place to look which often reports nothing until it is recognized
by linux is:

# cat /proc/interrupts
and
# cat /proc/ioports

They can give you some infor about what resources are in use by your
system as Linux sees your system

Another tool to use is

# lspci

and yet another is

# isapnp

to help you look for unknown devices on your system. Of course, isapnp is
mostly for PnP devices using the ISA bus and lspci is meant to list PCI
bus based devices, but they can sometimes prove fruitful in other arenas
like configuring PnP ISA Sound cards (been there, done that, and it is not
always pretty.)

Hope something here helps...

-ME