[vox-tech] Help! with GIMP

I have GIMP 1.1 installed -- sort of.  It cannot quite finish the
set-up, for reasons well beyond my ability to fathom.

It loads until it gets to /usr/lib/gimp/1.1/plugins/gif and then hangs.
Of course, I was setting it up for my 11-year-old, having bragged about
it.  He is now _really_ impressed.

Can someone give me an idea what to do, besides uninstall and purge, and
start again?

Thanks

Cam

--