Re: [vox-tech] VFAT (FAT32 and FAT16) reconstruction

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Jan Wynholds wrote:
> I am trying to do research on pulling apart (and reconstruction of) dos file
> systems.  Basically, I want to create a copy of the tree on a different file
> system, while saving deleted blocks.  Does anyone know of any (open source)
> tools that will:
>
> 1.  Walk through the FAT, and create copies of (valid, undamaged) entries on
> another file system.
> (and)
> 2.  Write unused (or damaged) sectors/blocks to another file system for
> analysis.
>
> I looked on deja, freshmeat and sourceforge, but came up negatory.

For imaging you can look into using cat to directly cat the
device+partition to an image file (It should read all of the bits that can
be read.) If this fails, you can make a program that loops through the
section that are bad with dd and some scripting langauge and try to read
those bad sector areas, one byte as a time in sequence with multiple
passes. (It will probably take a *long* time if doing bs=1 byte.)

For partitioning, I have a web page I put up on how to set up a Fujitsu
laptop with Debian Linux, and the secrtion on partition managers made it
into the Linux Laptop how-to.

http://mike.passwall.com/fujitsu/

On that page near, the top is mention of sites and URLS to FIPS, Ranish
Partition Manager/Utility, "fixdisktable" is mentioned as well as
Partition Magic and parted. (Fips 2.0 site has been up and down before,
and may have moved.)

Another tool that *may* work (have not examined it recently) is Venema and
Farmer's Grave Robber's Tool Kit. I think its mostly for ext2 and the
like, but it might handle vfat/fat32, but I have never tried. (It had a
nifty walk-through of your filesystem to find files that were deleted and
might help you here...

Yet another that might help you for disk editing is the linux disk editor
(might also handle vfat, but I have never tried.

Hope something here helps...

-ME