Re: [vox-tech] How to check for data coming in STDIN

Re: [vox-tech] How to check for data coming in STDIN

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:52:17 -0700
Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.com> wrote:

> A tty is actually an archaic abbreviation that isn't really used in
> it's original meaning - teletype (I believe - someone correct me
> otherwise).  These were 'dumb' terminals that just knew how to accept
> and display text, and communicate with a 'smarter' server.

Dumb is hardly the word.  The original teletypes were developed as a
replacement for the telegraph -- sort of a glorified electromechanical
typewriter, and used a 5-bit coding system.  The fancy ones had a tape
puncher/reader, so you could make long messages without a horrible
number of mistakes.  They were pretty cool in their own way -- round
about 1942.

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.
camellison@dccnet.com