Re: [vox-tech] keys and keybinding

begin: Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu> quote
> On Thu, 3 May 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > begin: Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu> quote
> > >
> > > hey all,
> > >
> > > on the subject of binding and remapping keys, if a key doesn't generate an
> > > event (as caught by xev) is that the end of the line for me?
> >
> > i would have to say yes!  what key doesn't generate an event?
>
> the function key on my laptop :)
> i'd like to bind some events to func-key combinations.

my guess is that the function key modifies the keycode sent of other keys.
that is, it doesn't generate a "key press" in of itself.

if that's truly the case, there's nothing to bind.

> > > are there any other solutions? or do i need to start writing some code?
> > are you saying a key "works" under console and "doesn't work" under X?
> >

> I'm saying that i might have to implement the key event generating myself, as
> in, hack xfree/console/whatever to respond to whatever code the key generates.

good luck.  sounds to me like you'll be hacking hardware, not software.

could be wrong of course.  just giving my gut feeling.

pete