January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] A question of perl style

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Micah Cowan wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 02:56:02PM -0700, jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:

> > > That went right over my head.
> >
> > Was supposed to go over mine.
>
> Heh, heh.  Very funny - I caught that one.
>
> > > Sounds like a compliment (i.e., Micah is incapable of ranting
> > > mindlessly),
> >
> > aye...
> >
> > > but if that were the case, why duck?
> >
> > Because I am pointing out a potentially endless recursion by a parallel
> > grammatical construct, and someone has to stop.  Soon. As in, I shouldn't
> > be so oblique. :)
>
> I don't see it, but I'm very very curious now.  Could you explain
> where the potential recursion lies?

When A says his question is empty (stupid), and B says no question is
empty, but then suggests that his own comments are empty (mindless), then
C is obligated to point out that no comments are empty, but hints that
doing so is empty (unnecessary), then D either points out that no comments
are empty (tiresome), or flames out, and we have Usenet, in which it is
poor netiquette to say your comments are empty, and especially bad to say
it while saying someone elses comments are not empty.

I was ducking D's comments.