Re: [vox-tech] Environment variable.

begin: Jay Strauss <jjstrauss@yahoo.com> quote
> Erik,
>
> What brand of operating system are you running on (HP-UX, Solaris, Linux,
> AIX..., I'm assuming you are on a Unix machine).
>
> In short when you login to a unix machine (like from the console or telnet),

of course you mean ssh.   ;-)

> a script(s) gets run automatically..  I think (I'm sure someone will correct
> me), which script(s) that gets run depends on the shell you are using, but
> these scripts exist in your home directory (i.e. the directory into which
> you are placed when you login)
>
> Shell        profile script
> bash         .bashrc

only for non-login shells.   telnet gives a login shell, so i think the
relevent file would be .bash_profile.  if you place it in .bashrc, you won't
have it available in consoles unless you place "source $HOME/.bashrc" in
.bash_profile.

> csh          .cshrc

the ONLY thing i miss about csh is not being able to say the word
"dot-sea-shark".   :)

pete