January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] wtf?

begin: Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu> quote

> actually, switching the awe64 with the sb128 got rid of the problem entirely.
> Now I can turn the speakers waaaaay up and get no noise whatsoever.

bizarre.  i run both cards, and they seem to perform equally as well, except
for the fact that the 128 doesn't come with hardware midi.  not a problem
these days, since most apps seem to use midi emulation these days.  was an
annoyance last year, when i was playing lxdoom.

the 128 was also easier to configure, but the awe drivers have better
resource detection/setting these days.

> I've heard bad things about the awe64 in the past (i still think it's a
> rocking card) regarding interference.

i agree!

> I think my vd3500 is partially to blame, as it has an fm tuner :)

aha!

> but the sb128 seems to be well shielded.

i guess so.    maybe the length of the ISA connector strip is an integer
fraction of the radio station's wavelength while the PCI isn't.  :P

pete