Re: [vox-tech] new to linux

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] new to linux
  • From: jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.uMAPSs
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:21:04 -0700

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Bryce Kuklok wrote:

> hello,
> i'm trying to get these file types down and am having some trouble.  i can't
> figure out all this tar.gz wackiness or .bin anything.  if anyone knows a
> good beginners tutorial you could link me to that would be great.  by the
> by, i'm using SuSE 7.1.

Well, this is not a Linux-specific question, so don't expect a
Linux-specific answer.  Take a look at
http://www.louisville.edu/~lmlars01/indulge/filenameextensions.html
or just search using www.google.com for an extension you are curious
about.

Unix in general does not key its function to file name extensions,
preferring to look inside the file to guess what the file type is.

See "man file" for more about this inspection.